Thursday, April 29, 2010

My last day @105degree

It's amazing how time flies when you are keeping busy. Today is my last day at 105 degree academy. I've learnt a lot while I am here, I'm glad I had the experience.

We had to do a breakfast, lunch and dinner project for the course. I think this was what made it special for me because it allowed me to use my creative energy and create my own menu, not decided or controlled by anyone. Coming from a very limited background in cooking and preparing food, this was an interesting and challenging experience.

I wanted to work on a singaporean theme and prepare food that people at home can relate to and will eat, which is why i chose to make the singapore style carrot cake and the laksa, coz they are the perennial favourites of all singaporeans, not to mention the char kuay teow of course.....

so for my three course dinner menu, i had to make a char kuay teow for my main course. for my non singaporean friends, char kuay teow is fried flat noodles, the classic dish that everyone misses when they are away from home. never mind that it's cooked in lard and as unhealthy as it can possibly get.

but to convert that to a raw fried noodles is quite an interesting challenge. i decided on a "singapore style fried scallop vegetable noodles" gourmet style of course.

and this is what you get ->




for the first course, it was a tough call to think of a singaporean theme so i stole the idea from thai cuisine and made a thai green mango salad, a raw version of course, without the anchovies and the fried shallots...



for my dessert, i wanted to replicate something like an ice kachang or a chendol. but with raw being the main theme, that's out of the question since i cannot cook beans.

as a result, the original ice kachang evolved into coconut cream tropical fruit cocktail with fresh mint and organic white wine... yummy




we had a mini party with invited guests and the A-team (level 2 students and some of the staff from the cafe) so we had to plate our dishes. i had a lot of fun with that.


i'm satisfied with how it turned out.... anyway i am tired, going to get some rest now. have a beautiful day :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment